Sunday, February 7, 2010

Soul Coughing 2.

______________________

Current Music:
Artist: Modest Mouse

Song(s): The View

Album(s): Good News For People Who Love Bad News.


_______________________



Today is the Superbowl. You know, I hate the Superbowl. I really do. Some people might see the positive side of everything that I dislike about the Superbowl, and therefore, disagree with me. But I'm sure there will be a pretty big group of people in the world on my end of the couch, too. ;)



Reasons why I hate the Superbowl:


1. Everyone gets drunk. And when everyone gets drunk, everyone gets loud and ridiculous and obnoxious. And a room full of drunk people is never really a pleasant thing anyway. (At least, not when you're sober... which of course, I am.) And the cleanup of beer cans and bottles is annoying afterward, too. I also don't like excuses to get intoxicated... and I know there's probably a bunch of drunken men somewhere who, if asked why they were drunk today, would loudly bellow: "'Cause it's the Superbowl!!!!"



2. You have to deal with people and family that you may not really want to be around. Now, don't get me wrong. I love my family. I also love any friends that may get comfy on my couch this Sunday or any other Superbowl Sunday that came before this or will come after it. I love company and comradery and being around those you love to be around. But, there are just may be some days I don't want you around or want to be around you. Feel me?



3. I don't like football. I don't really like athletics, period. I don't understand the point of sports and never really have. (If you are a sports lover, I suggest you don't read this one. You'll just end up really hating me. Haha. If you read it anyway, then please refrain from punching me in the face immediately following.)
I don't get the appeal of watching a bunch of people in uniform throw a ball around. I don't think athletes should be paid for running around, tackling, and throwing/catching a ball. It's not a talent... it's not worthy of millions of dollars. It's not worthy of awards or television or publicity. I just... really don't like it. I mean, I *kind of* like baseball. Sometimes. And that's only if I'm in the stadium watching it. I totally love sports if I'm doing that. But I don't do that often. So I don't like sports often.


4. We all stuff our faces. Now, don't get me wrong. If anyone likes - no, adores - food and stuffing their face, it's me. I could eat and eat and eat and eat and EAT! I love veggie trays and Velveeta dip and salsa and chips and sandwiches and sweets or whatever else we serve on Superbowl Sunday. But, there's a downside to having all this food laid out: I will eat too much of it, and a stomachache will follow.




5. Everyone has an excuse to gamble. Everybody places bets. Losing money isn't a good thing. Winning money, however... I can see the appeal. But, eh. I still wouldn't risk it.




Annnnnnnd, because I couldn't leave it out...

Reasons that make the Superbowl slightly, mildly acceptable:


1. The commercials! I've already seen plenty that have made me smile and laugh and all that good, happy stuff. The commercials are definitely great.

2. The music. I like seeing all the different bands and artists sing and so forth.

3. Half-time activities. This one is pretty self-explanatory, don't you think? :)













Au revoir for now!




[Photo Credit: Andrew Hefter Photography.]

No comments: